Avoid Running Injuries with these Easy Tips
Word on the tracks is that running injuries are extremely common but also preventable. Whether you’re an avid runner or just getting started, here are some tips to keep in mind to prevent injuries while running.
- Stretch both before and after your run.
- Stretches should include all muscles and joints involved such as your hips, hamstrings, calves, ankles & IT band.
- You can use equipment such a foam roller for your IT ball and a ball for under your feet.
Watch Your Pace
- Set realistic goals and listen to your body.
- Pushing yourself too hard and too fast can lead to injury, so be sure to allow for ample recovery time.
- Don't increase your mileage by more than 30% weekly increments.
Check Your Form
- Run mindfully to keep your form in check.
- Remember to lead with your hips and engage your glutes to help strengthen your stride and keep it at a comfortable length.
Add Strength Training
- Adding strength training to your routine improves the muscle groups and prevents the overuse of any particular muscle.
- Incorporate free weights into your workout routine or do bodyweight exercises to improve your strength.
Consider the Surface
- To keep your muscles challenged, change the surfaces you run on periodically. You can try a new track or a new route for your run.
- New terrains can provide a new challenge for you and your body.
A running or other sports injury can require a lengthy recovery period. You can proactively avoid injuries that can keep you off the track by incorporating these tips into your training.
Need help with an injury? Book with one of our expert practitoners!